There might not be a single person who is not afflicted by work stress at a certain point of time in their lives be it business owners, employees or job seekers. Some manage to cope up with it, some manage to bust it completely yet some of the people struggle to handle it and let it interfere with their efficiency leaving an impact on their physical and emotional health. Pressure at work can sometimes be motivating and push you to perform better but in excess, this kind of pressure can lead to anxiety and depression. It is extremely important for you to learn how to deal with work stress in order for you to feel relaxed and calm at all times benefiting your professional and personal lives.
How to identify stress?
Identifying the common symptoms of stress can assist you to manage, minimize or even eliminate stress completely from your minds, look out for the following signs:
- Headaches and fatigue
- Not being able to concentrate
- Feeling aggressive
- Loss of appetite
- Losing interest in your work
- Feeling unmotivated and unconfident
- Social withdrawal
What causes you to stress out?
To treat the problem, you must first learn to recognize the root cause of it, there could be a number of factors leading to work stress, such as:
- Overburdened with responsibilities
- Poor relation with co-workers/employees
- Unhappy with the work environment or the workplace
- Pressure to meet deadlines
- Office politics
- Financial difficulties
How to manage stress?
Stress, if left untreated can turn into a mental illness which not only affects you but everyone associated with you, be it your family, friends or co-workers. Work-related stress is inevitable yet coping up with it is not as difficult as it seems. Taking a few simple measures can help you to manage your stress levels and motivate you to perform better at work.
- Don’t fill up your plate too much- reduce your workload by taking up work which you know you can accomplish in the given time, do not go overboard.
- Accept help- when you know you might not be able to pull off a task alone, do not hesitate to ask for help.
- Establish boundaries- avoid situations at your workplace which can cause you to stress out.
- Build a friendly atmosphere- make your interaction with your co-workers a healthy and a positive one, which will help to cheer you up.
- Improve communication- talking out when you need to helps to tackle stress rather than keeping grudges and burdening yourself.
On a personal level:
- Meditate- take a deep breath at negative thoughts and whatever that stresses you out
- Exercise- giving time to yourself can help you greatly
- Eat healthy- improves concentration therefore boosting productivity
- Sleep well- do not take your worries to bed with you
- Avoid alcohol and nicotine- they lead to dependence affecting your personal life
- Spend quality time with your loved ones- it helps you to forget about work for sometime
- Get support- talk about your stress with someone close to you
Work isn’t the only thing in this world, so it’s nothing to stress about, learn to take things lightly, have a positive outlook towards life, take chances and learn from them and live your life stress-free!